Forums » Horse Related Chat Only

New to breeding help...

• August 4, 2011 7:19 PM PDT

I have a Female who is a ying yang offspring, though her eyes are regular eyes..not element or anything.

I want to breed her with one of my males but im not sure if I should breed with a element eye , I have fire, cosmic galaxy, earth , heartshine, ....or if I should just breed with the ones that are like babyblue, or opal. etc.....

does it matter? will the ying yang pass?

• 5 posts
    August 4, 2011 8:58 PM PDT
    Do you have any males that suck at passing their eyes? I'd try that. Or just go for a male with the best eyes in case the Yin Yang doesn't pass. If you don't get the Yin Yang, at least you'll probably get the better of the eyes.

Remember, Offspring bundles aren't a guarantee of holding traits that show in the pedigree. The offspring's hidden trait could be anything from the mother or father.
    • 122 posts
    August 5, 2011 8:38 AM PDT
    it always took me a long time to get the eyes out of an offspring type of horse. i agree with jager, breed em with something that has good eyes too, if all fails at least you have a chance of the other eye passing if the yin yang fails.
  • August 6, 2011 3:48 PM PDT

yeah I bred it with an element eye *I think* o.o I dont even remember now cuz I paired so many females recently lol. But yeah, I also have a chimera brindle OS that im aching to get the coat out of...but I have a feeling its gonna be lots of tries.. *sigh*

Thanks for the advice guys :)

This post was edited by Lorraine Creighton at August 6, 2011 3:48 PM PDT
    • 14 posts
    August 8, 2011 2:21 PM PDT
    Personally the first thing I would do is I would breed it with a male that has a weak eye, IE who has a different eye than both his parents and the parents had a different eye from each other as well.

For example a Silver Arabian stud with a Hazel Blue eye whose Mother had a Silver eye and Father had a Black eye.

Either that or yeah breed to a horse with a good eye and that way you at least have a chance of getting a nice eye in the bundle if all else fails as the other poster said.
    • 36 posts
    August 8, 2011 3:36 PM PDT

Lorraine, unfortunately that’s not an easy question.  Will the Yin/Yang pass? Maybe, if the offspring actually got the eye.  In order to know the odds, we have to understand how traits pass in Amaretto Horses.

Every horse that is not a “special” such as a Limited Edition or Charmed has the same basic rules to where its traits come from.

Horses have two of each trait, one you can see and one you cannot see.  These are passed from its parents. So if a horse has a baby blue eye showing, it potentially has 3 other eyes to choose from that could be its hidden eye. Why three?  Well, two from each parent, one showing and one hidden!  And what are those hidden eyes in the parents? You have to look at the grandparents and figure it out.

A lot of times, after breeding a horse for awhile, you can figure out which traits are hidden and passed up the line.  Sometimes you’ll never know for sure.  

So any trait you’re trying to breed for, remember you have a one-in-four chance to pass it.  That’s why breeding a High Coat Luster with another High Coat Luster gives you a higher chance of getting that trait in the offspring. You’ve increased your chances to two-in-four!  And if the grandparents had it too, then it might be a hidden as well, and increase your chances even more.

That said, it is sometimes a big surprise when a trait that was hidden for several generations suddenly appears in a line.  I had one recently where a Red Pinto coat suddenly appeared in a line that had bred true for 5 gens. Turns out, 6 gens back there was a Red Pinto, and it was hidden and passed all along.

• 81 posts
    August 8, 2011 10:26 PM PDT
    Lorraine, first you need to check and make sure the eye your girl has didn't come from the same line as the ying yang, if it did you will never get the ying yang eye. Secondly you need to keep track of the eyes of it's offspring. If an eye passes that isn't the mare or stallions dominant, then you have to find out where it came from. Again, if it came from the mother she will never pass the ying yang eye.