Forums » Horse Related Chat Only

Fact Or Fiction?

• 17 posts
    August 12, 2011 2:14 PM PDT

I have been breeding horses since February 14th, and in that time I have heard a lot of different anecdotes. a LOT. Which is why I'm never sure exactly what works.

This is a thread for anecdotes and whether or not they have been proven one way or another, or if they are just a cloud of smoke.

Here are some examples:

*White and Black eyes are recessive, meaning if you paired a horse with one of these two eye colors with a horse that had a traited eye, that traited eye would be MORE LIKELY to pass then if the traited eye were paired with a starter eye horse of any other color.

*The higher a horses happiness is at the time she gives birth, the better the resulting offspring will be. I've experimented with this and had mixed results.

*The older a female horse is, the better her bundles are. I've never heard this said about male horses and the bundles they father, but I imagine if the older = better rumors were true, it would work the same way.

*Palominos are the best horses to breed with because their coats are LESS LIKELY to pass on then any other coat, whereas coats like Shetland and Mustang are more dominant, meaning they are MORE LIKELY to pass.

What are some anecdotes/rumors/trade secrets you have heard of? Were they true, false, or is the jury still out?

• 12 posts
    August 12, 2011 3:01 PM PDT
    I have heard about the recessive white and black eyes but dont think it is true, I have had white eyed horses that always take the other parents eyes and yet some which always pass the white or black

I have also heard about the palomino coat before but again seeing as i have got a lot of palomino coats in the past think again it is just rumour and down to the horse itself

The others I havent heard before though so would like to hear what others think of those.

The only other one i have heard is if you wake a pregnant horse early so she births that the bundle wont be as good - personal experience though is just a rumour again and is random
    • 7 posts
    August 12, 2011 3:01 PM PDT
    Well I can only tell you what works for me. I have over 50 10 traited horses now so I think I have earned my stripes lol. Let's take your points one by one.

1. I do not agree with this assumption. The reason people believe the white eyes are recessive is because the eyes are usually not in the parents or grandparents in large quantities. To test this, try breeding a male with white eyes and his parents both have white eyes with a female that has a different eye but both her parents have white eyes and you will see that the white eye will come out more often than not.

2. This is not true, sorry but every one of my females are taken off salt as soon as they get pregnant and my bundles are usually very good.

3. No, this is not true either. The reason people think this is so is because the horses you breed with that horse usually get better as time goes on. When your horse is older, the horses you own will most likely be better than the horses you owned when that horse was younger. Therefore it seems as though that horse is giving better bundles but they are simply being bred with better horses in many cases.

4. Again, Palaminos are like the white eye example. If your horse is a strong Palomino it will pass the coat more often than not if you breed it with another horse that does not have a strong coat. The reason people think they pass traits and not the coat is because breeders usually do not keep the Palominos around long enough to make their coats strong.

• 122 posts
    August 12, 2011 7:16 PM PDT
    my galaxy eyes pass every time i breed them with my horses that have black eyes.
    • 138 posts
    August 14, 2011 10:36 AM PDT
    I had an appie with white eyes. one parent was also white eye. It took 3 bundles to pass another eye in it's offspring.
    One of my walkers, her 1st bundle was a great LL8T. I have since not gotten another 8T out of her, and all her pairings were to another 8T. Shes age 75 now :\
    Happiness, no effect. My girls usually are closer to 100%, but sometimes go down to mid 70's-80's and still I get just what I hoped for out of them :)
    As far as recessive/dominant. there is not a true genetics going on. The # of times a trait appears in it's pedigree, is the factor of how likely it is to pass on.
    Starters and LE's make a good pairing to some trait you really want passed like just a coat or eye. They really do not have any strength of pedigree.
    I started my coat chills with palos, and had to fight to weed out pals popping up in my walkers for couple gens.

So most rumors you here are just that. We all hope for some 'trick' to get out of our herd what we would like.
    • 19 posts
    August 21, 2011 4:16 AM PDT
    All rumours, the genetics in amarettos is not like RL genetics, there's no dominant or recessive genes here.

Every time I hear an auctioneer spout off about how Limited Editions give you anything I just want to shoot myself - I've never had anything but duds from mine.

Yesterday I was puzzled by some guy selling bundles that were specifically advertised as "half-sibs" and people were getting all excited about it, but as far as I can see, half-sibs are no better than unrelated horses (except maybe for passing on the common parent's traits, which were fairly mediocre).
  • August 21, 2011 9:12 AM PDT

Yes I'm always amazed when people go crazy over Charmed Demon OS. Really....really? And I'm pretty sure (actually positive) that the sellers know that Demons have been discontinued. I know people say that the offspring of charmed horses gives you a greater chance of getting another charmed horse but I haven't seen it yet so I'm a little pessimistic now:P

This post was edited by Deleted Member at August 21, 2011 11:13 AM PDT
  • August 21, 2011 11:41 AM PDT
    Even amaretto has stated that charmed OS give you no higher chance of charmed.

http://amarettobreedables.com/connection/?p=80
    • 122 posts
    August 21, 2011 1:00 PM PDT
    i guess if you don't read the forums or the information amaretto sets out about these kinds of things you only have yourself to blame for getting suckered into stuff like this.

but... auctioneers should be WAY more educated about the stuff they spout off at auctions. people trust them, and for them to say something that is not true, well, that's just not right...

i wonder what would happen if you said in the middle of an auction "that's not true... here is the link" lol.
  • August 21, 2011 1:29 PM PDT
    I'm the sort of ornery nag who would actually do that, though. If most auctions weren't voice auctions anymore. I never turn on voice, so I'm oblivious.
    • 0 posts
    August 23, 2011 3:21 AM PDT

I have relisted my ad with a very clear disclaimer. Really thought *everyone* knew of the announcement from amaretto regarding charm OS but also thought I was not the only one who has seen some charms from charm OS. As far as demons being discontinued, absolutely I did know that however charms do make charms that are unlike themselves, for example a pegacorn can make a unicorn, a robo unicorn can make a nightmare. Had I known the community would scorn me as a scammer and an idiot I would not have even listed them in the first place. I really only wanted to earn back a little money to buy another charm since my horses have never ever dropped any and I have been breeding since a couple weeks after release.

Even sold my leopard appaloosa to buy my unicorn. In retrospect perhaps I should have warned the buyer that a 300 day old horse will not reproduce, in case she did not know... and included the fact that the leopard coat would not pass even if she were still making babies. These things seemed very clear to me at the time but now I am a tiny bit concerned the buyer may feel scammed (seriously).

I wonder if those of you who sat there cutting down a total stranger knew I would see, or if it ever crossed your mind that I did not have any bad intentions whatsoever. This whole thing has sort of put me off horses. Before I go listing them for sale does anyone have a suggestion as to what a 100 day old demon and a 75 day old unicorn are worth? I'd like to exit the program without being ruthlessly insulted again.

*edited out the sarcasm, it sort of muddles the point. I'll go take it out of my ad as well.

This post was edited by Serra Exonar at August 23, 2011 3:25 AM PDT