Let's Talk Pricing and Sales

As a relatively new breeder trying to both satisfy my addiction for new horses and finding the sweet spot for selling to help offset a little of the costs of food etc. 

I find it a challenge to come up with a fair price. I've tried looking at the Market's to see what others are doing, but I find that pricing is all over the place.

Question: 

How do you decide how much to charge for a live horse or a bundle and where do you sell at? Market, Auction, Bidboards or ????

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 3:18 PM, Scarlet said:

As a relatively new breeder trying to both satisfy my addiction for new horses and finding the sweet spot for selling to help offset a little of the costs of food etc. 

I find it a challenge to come up with a fair price. I've tried looking at the Market's to see what others are doing, but I find that pricing is all over the place.

Question: 

How do you decide how much to charge for a live horse or a bundle and where do you sell at? Market, Auction, Bidboards or ????

Scarlet, the market is a mess and has been for a long time.

Too few folks care about the community\market and take no pride in the product. They will sell something for pennies that has cost them far more than those few pennies. It's crazy, but that is simply the way it is.

Best advice I can offer is to be knowledgeable, helpful and appreciative to customers. If someone is new to the product, and aspires to make loads of coin, be honest and tell them the chances of that happening are slim.

As far as markets, look at traffic. Look at how things are built. How well is the market managed? Is anyone on hand to offer assistance to merchants\customers? Does the market have any merchants that have 50$L bundles?

Bid boards, again...check traffic on the sim. Do the boards have easy access? Are they set up to allow the focus on the product being sold?

Auctions, look at traffic again. Does the auctioneer allow distractions? Is it a "party atmosphere"? Does the auctioneer know the products, or just say what ever sounds good at the time?

Traffic can be seen by clicking the "Land" button and then the general tab will show traffic.

Good luck and remember, this product IS a money pit, however...there are far worse things to burn coin on.

Thanks Bull 

Money Pit yes that much I understand.

I do love my horses I just have way too many for the  costs (mostly food) but also land and prims.

However that said  I keep trying to get more and more efficient and I just want to realize a little bit of revenue to assist with my obsession.

Rebuilding my personal  area again and again and again trying to adapt to what I see out there.

Leased stalls on other market places. I've sold a few good horses and a few cheap horses.

Higher and higher food costs mean's that I have to occasionally weight costs to pleasure.

Scarlets

• Like 2

I understand you Scarlet very well. I have same issues as you have. Not easy to find a good market where your horse is really sold. As far as traffic goes, that is a tricky thing. At many places you will find people just standing around to make traffic.

I would suggest you just go around and look at a few markets and put your horses for sale where you feel well ?

39 minutes ago, Luna Blue said:

I understand you Scarlet very well. I have same issues as you have. Not easy to find a good market where your horse is really sold. As far as traffic goes, that is a tricky thing. At many places you will find people just standing around to make traffic.

I would suggest you just go around and look at a few markets and put your horses for sale where you feel well ?

Traffic certainly can be "gamed" with the use of bots. It's just something that has been done by folks that do not want to put in the efforts for organic\real traffic.

thank you both for the replies.

I am not doing my horses for money/lindens I do it for fun but a little return helps keep things fun.

That being said this adddiction is easy to get out of control. I currently sell at 1 market fixing to expand and sometimes I price and get a fair price for my horses.

but one of my biggest issues is trying to figure out what is a fair price. Currently i look around and say "What is everybody else doing?" and some places they have those 50 Linden bundles everywhere like Bull mentioned and dirt cheap horses. I dont haven't years of experience with Amaretto Horses so its really hard to figure out sometimes.

I know how to breed and build groups and bring a single coat back. I've done with so many of the old coats because they are new to me.

I organize and label bundles constantly. one Market is reasonable another is dirt cheap.

I have several nice and rarer horses but when i put them at a market for a resonable price no responses so I took them home and keep breeding them lol.

a couple of Charms, several elementals a few zodiacs a couple of confections but I am not giving those away for nothing. I've yet to get a galaxy horse but I will in time.

I was even fortunate enough to get a showhorse and bred her. I have more Jazzies than I should have lol and a few do buy them occasionally at a reasonable price.

Anyways thank you both. Someday I will figure it out maybe. LOL 

Scarlet

• Like 3

I forgot to mention I have been converting groups to something similar to Bull's multi duty groups  Gem Crowns and Specialty Eyes to a coat that I want to breed for fun and multiple chances at good drops.

I got a few Reptiles. I am sure with the sheer quantity of live horses I had gotten up to I was bound to get something.

With the new Lineage system showing me my live horse totals and bundle counts I had a little sticker shock as well, so I am reducing Live and trying to be more productive with what I do have but I will birth a horse if I see one that intrigues me. LOL

Thank You Amaretto for your product that allows us to have fun with it.

Scarlet

• Like 2