Forums » K9 Related Chat Only

Rather upset!

• 33 posts
    September 27, 2011 8:18 AM PDT

So, I know this isn't going to win me any friends or fans, but I feel like getting my opinion out there, because I'm a little tired of seeing people beratting Amaretto, who likely see more complaints than anything else if they read this site. (This thread isn't meant to make enemies.)

I'm going to touch a few topics, such as traits, the market, and food costs. I'll try to keep them fairly concise and not ramble as well as also offer solutions or ideas to combat things, as it's not my intent to just harp without reason.

So, I'm going to start with food costs! I see a lot of people saying that the food price should be lowered, that Amaretto makes more than enough money off the food. That they have too many dogs(Horses as well) that are too expensive to feed. I'll admit when I started breeding horses I'd thought so to, at first anyway. But when it comes down to it, yes this is Amaretto's way of making money, but it also doubles as a sort of regulator. If you have too many dogs to feed, puppy paradise them! Don't hold on to dogs that you hope are going to give you something, rule of thumb for me, if they haven't given me anything by the second or third breeding, I Puppy Paradise. This way, you keep your numbers culled. Also, don't take on more than what you can handle, if it's 10, it's 10. Set a limit for yourself, on how much you want to spend on food and stick with it. So, I've puppy para'd a dog, I then either replace them with an offspring, or I go out and buy a new dog with traits I want, that should pass!

Speaking of traits, I'll jump over to this topic now. I've also noticed on the forum, people saying Amaretto released too many traits at once. I've thought on this long and hard, and at one time I agreed but then I contemplated some more, and I don't. Amaretto releases all these traits so you can work to customize your dog (Or horse), giving you a variety of options to see what you like best with which coat, what size ear you might think looks cute on which dog head, etc. There aren't too many, it's a way for you to make something you like, then breed it, and sell it to people and tell them why you think it's perfect and awesome. Also, people say that when new traits are released the old traits go down in price. For whatever reason, people have the mentality (Though I don't know why since so many people complain this happens) that the new traits are all that's good. But it's not just the new traits fault, you have to remember older traits, they have become very strong in dog lines, and they are every where, they'd depreciate in value because there isn't demand for them. One thing I find helps is to remind people, you still need these older traits to get a however many traite dog. Though I'll settle with people, I think Amaretto needs to retire more traits. Like maybe every other trait cycle, retire an old batch of traits. So example. We our new starting traits now, we'll get new traits in a few months, then a third set another few months later - With this third set of new traits, retire a whole set of eyes like the glitz and maybe the coat sheen. Then after that release another new set of traits down the rode, then some more another few months later and with this fifth set of traits, retrie another few sets of older ones, maybe a few coats. That would help keep the market from being flooded with too many of the same thing.

Now about the market being flooded, this paragraph will be smaller, I promise, that last one got a bit out of hand. I keep seeing people saying the market is tanking, this is in part due to people selling their dogs for dirt cheap, trying to make a quick buck, but also because of people buying them. I haven't figured out how to combat this just yet, besides buying the higher price kennels and pooches. At some point the people selling kennels for 100L will give up when they see their stuff isn't selling. You might be saying 'It's more expensive." Well yes, it's more expensive, but you have to spend money to earn money. Also, when auctioning, hold firm to your price of however many lindens you're selling a dog for. Personally I use auctions for what I call 'steals' as in, I might be selling a dog for 800l, but at an auction I'll cut that in half for the starting bid, but I never drop any lower. It's frustrating when you don't sell, but hang in there, other people might catch on by example, and soon your auction place is filled with dogs that aren't any cheaper than say 400. Seeing that, people will start to bid at that price because they know there's no better deal. I'd also advise auction houses to set a starting bid limit, (I know some have them) and only allow auctions with 'open' bids once in a while.

So, the final thing I want to touch on and this is the cold hard truth. The likely hood you'll get rich off these K-9s is slim to none (horses too), it's a money sink. The people you see getting rich, and this goes with what I said earlier, spend money to make it. They buy those new coats at expensive prices, to breed out and try and make the money back. (Sometimes it works other times it's a flop.) They pay with Lindens in second life to advertise, make a name for themelves. I do realize some people are just lucky, but more often than not, people pay for their stock.

Honestly, I breed for fun, it's my vice, my money sink. If I make a little back that's great, if not I'm content to just breed things out and see what sort of fun things I get. So I would like to say that this was written from an objective stand point. If anyone reads it, I'd like you to know it's not just to berate people even if irritation did spur this topic. I hope some of the ideas I threw out help others or gave some food for thought. Anyway, much love to the Amaretto community.

This post was edited by Meka Aeon at September 27, 2011 8:19 AM PDT
  • September 27, 2011 7:56 PM PDT
    As a CSR I Thank You for sharing your thoughts.
  • September 28, 2011 5:01 PM PDT
    Meka - right on! I agree with all you say!

And...to the entire Amaretto family...you are awesomesauce!! :)
    • 14 posts
    September 29, 2011 9:34 PM PDT

i think we just need more dogs.... everyone has pretty much all dogs coats atm so thats why its dry... if there were more dogs itself it would take much longer. need like 20+ more dogs to database kthxbai :P

This post was edited by Medium Tank at September 29, 2011 9:34 PM PDT
    • 81 posts
    September 30, 2011 12:53 AM PDT
    We don't need more dogs, the have only been out for what...a month now? What needs to be done now is take the traits we were given and work with them.
    • 14 posts
    September 30, 2011 10:26 AM PDT
    Dj Barracuda said:
    We don't need more dogs, the have only been out for what...a month now? What needs to be done now is take the traits we were given and work with them.
    sure why not need more dogs... no more demand for anything new. so yea need content when the entire grid has content already. On anotehr dogs there is not enough dog types as it is... some of the most popular dogs in the world are not even in k9s yet... pretty sad. This would be a nice time to see them get added since the demand is pretty much gone.

This post was edited by Medium Tank at September 30, 2011 10:29 AM PDT
  • September 30, 2011 10:38 AM PDT
    Let's just flood the market with all the dog breeds we can think of and then in a month we'll see high traited kennels selling for 200 linden.

Sorry but I think introducing several more breeds of dogs right now would be a big mistake. We JUST got started on the dogs not that long ago. The day they came out people were already advertising dog auctions. Come on!

Oh and Happy Friday everyone :)
    • 33 posts
    October 1, 2011 10:50 AM PDT
    I do agree, right now we don't need new breeds, in a few months yes. The kennels you see going for 100L, and I've been watching, are the people trying to make a quick buck. They're already pulling the 'going out of business' bull. And most of the 100l-200l kennels are the plain old starter coats with no traits. Given I don't believe starter coats should be 100L because you can work traits in to them then buy one of the non starter coats and pass the traits into them, and it actually turns out to be more cost effective.

• 14 posts
    October 4, 2011 1:02 PM PDT

i dunno how any of you think we dont need new breeds. i guess I am the only one who has all the dogs pretty much an theres NOTHING else for me to collect? when you see the so called best dogs being sold for 5k.. yea don't you think its about time to have something else to achieve cuz theres not much profit out there with the way it currently is. the market is down if you haven't noticed that even high traited dogs sell for low even. new stuff to breed, new demand, an guess what we will actually have a market again like it did when it first started when "the demand was oooo i want that dog!" which is now pretty much gone lol. we stay like this for a few weeks i can tell you its gonna get worse an worse not better. meh... id liek to see a dog be sold an maybe cover my food cost :P. i see nothing hopping about the market atm to where we dont need content. theres only like 10 dogs anyhow as coats... thats not enough. we can at least be able to breed something past gen 2. from the starters you can make pretty much ever dog almost giving what point to breed past there except trait stacking. i would like to see more dogs pop out during the line at least. i dont get a kick out of putting the same traits on the same dogs over an over. need more dogs for sake lol, same coat diff color, im not easily fooled would like to see a diff dog already.

This post was edited by Medium Tank at October 4, 2011 1:08 PM PDT
  • October 10, 2011 1:01 PM PDT

I do not want to be a nay sayer, but MORE coats is not what we need, we need an improvement in the REAL LIFE economy.  There are people out there who are not doing well financially and have no jobs.  Second Life is a wonderful diversion from real life stresses, all we can is ride out the tough times and hope for the best.

• 14 posts
    October 11, 2011 7:31 PM PDT
    Lissandra Paverini said:

I do not want to be a nay sayer, but MORE coats is not what we need, we need an improvement in the REAL LIFE economy.  There are people out there who are not doing well financially and have no jobs.  Second Life is a wonderful diversion from real life stresses, all we can is ride out the tough times and hope for the best.

hehehe yea i been riding economy since i been born :P. hasnt gotten better i think it only gets worse in teh Rl ehehe nice yuo bring it up it is ruff for lots. I just want my poodle nao! lol ill pay amarretto directly for one lol. i love some for collections. cool thing is they follow you. i think im just bi polar an need a soft dog to hug lol.

• October 23, 2011 7:30 AM PDT
    omg we do not need more coats at the minute, its gponna flood the market what we need to do is work on building the pedigrees and traits up im fed up with people saying i only got 100l for my kennel try and work with the traits and pedigrees and u might find that your dog/kennel will be worth much more
    • 7 posts
    October 23, 2011 1:46 PM PDT
    why we need new coats we dont have even yet a full traited one of these coats.still much to do with these ones before they are fully traited.new coats means the other coats you can pp because nobody whants them anymore.
    • 2 posts
    November 1, 2011 6:39 AM PDT

Well let me see.  I am rather upset to.  As a Amaretto customer.  Who spends close to 6K a week just for land to house the dogs "PRIMAGE" that is by the way split in two places and I Have watched the food rate go like it is no tomorrow one one sim and slow down on the other sim with the same amount of dogs.  I have looked at the fps of each sim.  I have tried just about everything i can think of to keep them from eating as fast as they do.  BECAUSE THAT IS ANOTHER 6500 every other week that I have to spend to feed them.  So unless you are real life rich and can keep on buying linden to support your amaretto breeding addiction ya kind of understand why some people NEED to make a profit not just WANT to make a profit.  So all of that together is what hmm how much together for a month 24,000 linden for the land, And frankly i have lost track over the past 5 weeks how many times i have bought the pricey 6500 linden food in 5 week a grand total of 26,000 linden just for food.  So yes people get a bit angry when they keep putting linden out and watching as not only the other breeders but amaretto themselves shoot themselves in their own foot by throwing new horses in to the mix just after bringing the dogs out.  Hmmm do I smell a little greed goin on?  and not on the part of the breeder.  And oh by the way not all of us are lucky enough to get our traights to pass to already have those wonderful 5 and 6 traited dogs.  Work with them hmmm sounds like i need a dang class 5 sim to keep working on them if it is based on working with what you have from the starter pack you breed back to the parents start to get traits then weed thru the non traitors but the prim count keeps going up.  and the linden low hmmm is it worth it.  I dont know But my insanity may stay around a bit longer if maybe the food cost would be lowered. Add that to the land cost that I have spent during the time i have owned the dogs the total is around 98,000 linden.  I cant even sell a traited kennel for 100 linden so I have stopped bothering.  I have sold 1 kennel in the past month 1 and it was a pug for 500 on the market place oh i forgot to mention the linden i spent for renting stalls to sell the kennels on different sims and the linden i spent on auctions only to see no sales.  So sorry if I dont feel so bad for amaretto.  As far as the CSR's go they are great at what they do they fix in a timely manner and send back.  But really really, come on think about how much 98,000 linden is rw can anyone just afford to keep that up no.  So yea thinking of letting my boxers my yorkies my pugs, my dogs go hungary.  Why keep it up if there is no market.  why....other than the reason that Yes I do love breeding them and seeing what I got out of a kennel it is like opening a christmas pressent on christmas morning but that feeling is fading away as the market dies while I tinker away at trying to get the traits into my dogs. 

This post was edited by rain willowind at November 1, 2011 6:53 AM PDT
  • November 1, 2011 6:45 AM PDT
    im not been funny but no one asked people to throw lindens into it : )
  • November 1, 2011 6:51 AM PDT
    Rain. Question. Do you have near 100 dogs? Because if you don't.. then your dogs are eating way too much and I'd suggest a ticket be filed so Amaretto can look at it. 100 foods will last 100 dogs a month.
    • 2 posts
    November 1, 2011 6:57 AM PDT

of course not Channing. There are two reasons why i do this. One I dont do the club scene in SL I enjoy doing the breedables but I am not a bank. Just like in RW do all the good things in life have to be for only those who can afford it? oh dang I forgot the other reason not enough coffee in the morning and I have lost count how many dogs i have for trying to get traits into them so yea i am trying to weedle them down but it is making my brain hurt atm lol   I am sorry if I came off angry but I am and noone forced me into breeding. I wanted to but still it should be more affordable.

This post was edited by rain willowind at November 1, 2011 6:59 AM PDT
  • November 2, 2011 1:35 AM PDT
    np and if its something u enjoy doing and it makes u happy and if u can afford it keep it going the saying goes the triats will come to those that wait